Selection criteria for AGN Cross Country Teams 2019
1. Selection into Gauteng North Teams
Athletics Gauteng North will be selecting a team to the Inter-Provincial as well as to the National Championship.
1.1 Inter-Provincial at Middelburg.
AGN will select a team of 18 athletes per age category to represent the province at this event. Athletes must participate in at least three league races.
|League 1||Transnet Kilner Park||Sat, 13 April|
|League 2||Rhinopark||Sat, 27 April|
|League 3||Uitsig High School||Sat, 4 May|
|League 4||TUT Pretoria West||Fri, 10 May|
|League 5||Bronkhorstspruit||Sat, 18 May|
The best 18 athletes per age category, who took part in at least three leagues, will be selected based on a comparison of their positions at the leagues they participated in.
The best three positions of each athlete will be identified, added-up and then divided by three. Athletes will then be ranked.
(Athlete one positions: 1, 4, 2, 1, 2: Best three: 1, 2, 1 = 4 divided by 3: Rank 1.33)
(Athlete two positions: 2, 3, 1, 3, 3: Best three: 2, 3, 1 = 5 divided by 3: Rank 1.66)
The top 18 athletes per age group will then be selected for the AGN Team to the Inter-Provincial meeting.
1.2 National Championship at Pretoria.
ASA allows a province to enter a maximum of 18 athletes per age category. AGN intends selecting the full complement allowed by ASA, but it creates challenges for us when something goes wrong during the selection process, because ASA will not allow us to add more athletes to the team. For this reason, and to remove subjectivity from the selection process, the AGN selectors will only consider the results of the AGN championships for the selection of the team, with the provision that athletes comply with the criteria below:
- The top 4 positions at the AGN championships in each age category qualify automatically, even if the athlete did not participate in enough league events.
- The athletes in position 5 to 18 in each age category must also comply with the criteria below. If not, they will not be included in the AGN Team. The selectors will then look at athlete number 19, followed by athlete number 20, until athletes are found that did comply with the criteria.
- Athletes in age categories 14 years and older (including secondary schools): Two top 50 positions in the main season [schools events] plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory.
- Senior and Master athletes: Two top 50 positions in the pre-season leagues, plus one of the two leagues on 27 July at Zwartkops LAPA and 3 August at Uitsig High School in the main season plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory.
- Athletes in age categories 13 years and younger [primary schools athletes]: A top 50 position in any two of the four main season leagues (Eduplex – 12 July, Boerefort – 19 July, Vissershoek – 26 July, Queenswood – 2 August) plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory.
Athletes that are 13 years and younger need to participate in the primary schools’ events to fill their quota of leagues, even if they are already in secondary school. Similarly, athletes 14 years and older need to participate in the secondary schools’ events to fulfil their leagues.
AGN selectors will only consider the results of the AGN Championships for the selection of the team. If an athlete did not run at the AGN Championships, he or she will not be considered for the AGN team to go to the SA Championships. NO EXCEPTION.
2. Email List
If you received this email, but you are no longer interested in receiving cross country information, please reply to this mail and we will remove you from the list. If you know of any other person who would like to receive our email, please forward their address to us so that we can add them to the list.
3. Contact Detail
You can contact Sandra van Niekerk the Athletics Gauteng North office at 012 327 4932 or at email@example.com during office hours 08:00 to 16:00.You can also visit our web page at https://www.agn.co.za.