Selection criteria for AGN Cross Country Teams 2020
1 Selection into Gauteng North Teams
Athletics Gauteng North will be selecting a team to the Inter Provincial as well as to the National Championship.
1.1 Inter Provincial at Tzaneen.
AGN selectors can select a team of 18 athletes per age category (final number at the discretion of AGN selectors) to represent the province at this event. Athletes must participate in at least three league races. The final decision on team selection lies with the AGN selectors and their selection based on the required criteria will be final. The AGN selectors reserves the right to select less or more than 18 athletes depending on the results of leagues in order for the province to have the strongest possible team representing the province at this event.
- League 1: Transnet Kilner Park (Sat, 18 April)
- League 2: Rhinopark (Sat, 25 April)
- League 3: Asics Night Race (Fri, 08 May)
- League 4: Uitsig High School (Sat, 16 May)
- League 5: TUT Night Race (Fri, 22 May)
The best 18 athletes per age category, who took part in at least three leagues, can be selected based on a comparison of their positions at the leagues they participated in, (final number at the discretion of AGN selectors).
For each athlete the best three positions (of the minimum of 3-Leaques requirement) will be identified after League 5, added-up and then divided by three. Athletes will then be ranked.
(Athlete one positions: 1, 4, 2, 1, 2: Best three: 1, 2, 1 = 4 divided by 3: Rank 1.33)
(Athlete two positions: 2, 3, 1, 3, 3: Best three: 2, 3, 1 = 5 divided by 3: Rank 1.66)
The top 18 athletes per age group can then be selected for the AGN Team to the Inter Provincial meeting, (final number at the discretion of AGN selectors). The AGN selectors reserves the right to select less or more than 18 athletes depending on the results of leagues in order for the province to have the strongest possible team representing the province at this event.
1.2 National Championship at Amanzimtoti.
ASA allows a province to enter a maximum of 18 athletes per age category. AGN selectors intends selecting the full complement allowed by ASA, but it creates challenges for us when something goes wrong during the selection process, because ASA will not allow us to add more athletes to the team. For this reason, and to remove subjectivity from the selection process, the AGN selectors will only consider the results of the AGN championships for the selection of the team, with the provision that athletes comply with the criteria below:
- The top 4 positions at the AGN championships in each age category qualify automatically, even if the athlete did not participate in enough league events.
- The athletes in position 5 to 18 in each age category must also comply with the criteria below. If not, they will not be included in the AGN Team. The selectors will then look at athlete number 19, followed by athlete number 20, until athletes are found that did comply with the criteria.
- Athletes in age categories 14 years and older (including secondary schools): A top 50 position in any two of the four main season leagues [schools events] plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory.
- Senior, Junior and Master Athletes: Two top 50 positions in the pre-season leagues, plus two of the four leagues in the main season plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory. The Junior Men and Junior Women that do not belong to a school can compete in these leagues. The Wednesday races at the Secondary schools also count for selecting of the AGN team, at least two of the four races must be run.
- Athletes in age categories 13 years and younger [primary schools athletes]: A top 50 position in any two of the four main season leagues [schools events] plus the AGN Championship, which is compulsory.
Please note: Athletes that are 13 years and younger need to participate in the primary schools events to fill their quota of leagues, even if they are already in secondary school. Similarly, athletes 14 years and older need to participate in the secondary schools events to fulfil their leagues.
AGN selectors will only consider the results of the AGN Championships for the selection of the team. If an athlete did not run at the AGN Championships, or did not complete the race, he or she will not be considered for the AGN team to go to the SA Championships. No sick letters will be accepted. NO EXCEPTION.
2 Email List
If you received this email, but you are no longer interested in receiving cross country information, please reply to this mail and we will remove you from the list. If you know of any other person who would like to receive our email, please forward their address to us so that we can add them to the list.
3 Contact Detail
You can contact the Athletics Gauteng North office at 012 327 4932 or at email@example.com during office hours 08:00 to 16:00.You can also visit our web page at https://www.agn.co.za.
Chairperson: AGN Cross Country Commission
Cell number: 082 823 8883